John W. Bowdich - Partner
John W. Bowdich is a trial attorney with more than 17 years of experience in commercial and tort litigation, with an emphasis on commercial collection matters and consumer law defense. His prosecutions in commercial collection and judgment enforcement matters exceed more than 2,500 cases. He regularly defends collection agencies in FDCPA, FCRA, TCPA, and related consumer law and class action suits. John has more than 33 district court and appellate opinions published by Lexis-Nexis and 25 such opinions published by Westlaw. His practice also encompasses business torts, construction law matters, anti-piracy litigation, and securities litigation.
John frequently speaks about collection matters to legal associations, such as Construction Law Section of the Dallas Bar Association and has authored an article, “Non-Lien Collection Efforts for Construction Debts.”
John’s clients and cases have been the subject of media news stories, and he has appeared on their behalf in many media outlets, including WFAA Channel 8 News, The Dallas Morning News and the Austin American-Statesman.
He remains active in various sports, including triathlete events, while also volunteering his time to coach multiple youth sports teams in basketball and baseball.
Consumer Law Defense Clients:
- Optimum Credit Services
- ProCollect, Inc.
- RS Clark & Associates, Inc.
Entertainment / Anti-Piracy Clients:
- Garden City Boxing Club, Inc.
- J&J Sports Productions, Inc.
- Joe Hand Promotions, Inc.
- KingVision Pay-Per-View, Ltd.
- Darling Homes
- David Weekley Homes
- Matthews Southwest
- Med-Tech Construction
- Pulte Homes / Centex Corporation
Financial / Lending Institutions & Property Managers:
- Fifteen Asset Management
- Olympus Property Management
- Property Tax Solutions, LLC
- Royal Bank of Canada
- Yorkshire Realty
- JP Energy Partners / Pinnacle Propane, LLC
- Spindletop Oil & Gas Co. / Spindletop Drilling Co.
- Midnight Coders, LLC
- Recursion Software, Inc.
- Prosecution of 2,500+ commercial collection matters, including garnishments, executions and receiverships
- Coordination of service of writs of execution from Federal and State Court judgments across the state of Texas
- Prosecution of property tax collection and foreclosure matters
- Shareholder oppression litigation
Consumer Law Defense:
- Successful take nothing defense of collection agency in FDCPA litigation in federal jury trial
- Several successful motions for summary judgment in defending collection agencies in FDCPA litigation
- Defense of homeowner construction defect cases for custom and high volume homebuilders
- Defense and prosecution of mechanic’s and materialman’s lien claims
- Successful defense and prosecution of contractors in arbitrations before the AAA
- Successful prosecution and defense of shareholder and employee claims for breach of fiduciary duty and related claims
- Prosecution and defense of fraud and negligent representation claims between businesses
- Defense of FDCPA class action suit, resulting in favorable settlement for collection agency
- Defense of TCPA class action suit, resulting in favorable settlement for collection agency
- Prosecution of 2000+ anti-piracy suits pursuant to the Federal Communications Act and Copyright Act
- Defense of copyright litigation asserted by BMI
- Defense of several securities act violation arbitrations before NASDA / FINRA
- Prosecution of securities act and fiduciary duty claims for consumers
- State Courts of Texas
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 5th Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
- Dallas Bar Association, Construction Section
- State Bar of Texas
J.D., Texas Tech University School of Law, Lubbock, 1996
- Class President, 1994-1996
- Vice Chair, Board of Barristers, 1995-96
- Recipient, Marion T. Key Delt Scholar Award
- Member, Honor Code and Ethics Committee, 1995-96
- Member, Texas Tech’s ABA National Negotiation Team, 1995-96, National Finals runner-up, 1996
- B.A., Business Management, Texas A&M University, 1992